Saturday, March 31, 2012

Health Freak

 I remember back about 5 years ago when I was at college at SUU and I was a health freak. I was in the best shape of my life. I walked to the gym almost every day and I ate 5 small and healthy meals a day (which was easier because I didn't have to cook for anyone else). I felt guilty when I ate unhealthy foods and one of my roommates was completely annoyed by it and forced me to eat junk sometimes. I did fairly often indulge in some chocolate. I can't live without chocolate (and I'm talking the good milk chocolate kind, not the healthier bitter kind. Yuck). I'm not gonna lie, once I got married, things all changed. I know this sounds totally ridiculous but I wanted to spend every moment I had with Nate and that included time I could be at the gym. I probably went from working out 5-6 days a week to 1-3 days a week. I guess nursing school could have played a role in that as well. It also doesn't help that gyms cost money and we were starving college students. Then the baby came and we moved and I really have no gym now...so now I rarely work out. I did just start doing random workouts I found on Pinterest, which aren't too shabby.

So, skinny and healthy me seems like a distant dream. I better get in shape soon though because you can only blame your rolls on your baby for so long. I do still have a deep desire to be in shape and healthy and a passion for feeling good.

Here are some of my healthy fav's:

Almond milk: 
Only 60 calories a serving! I especially like it with Honey Bunches of Oats with almonds (I know...it's no Total cereal but it's also no Fruity Pebbles so give me a break). Almond milk plus cereal with almonds go pretty well together. The downside is that it is more expensive than milk...but I guess all healthy food is more expensive. I still would rather have a glass of cow milk with my brownies, cookies, waffles, etc., but you can reduce quite a few calories using it with your cereal.












Whole grain pasta:
It's really not that different from the enriched flour pasta. I really like the farfalle (bowtie) Barilla Plus. I tend to feel better after having a meal with whole grain pasta than I do when I have the regular pasta. The whole grain spaghetti is pretty good too!



Fruit and yogurt parfaits:
A delish breakfast that Nate likes too! And Nate's not the biggest fan of healthy foods (shhh..don't tell him I told you that). I buy a big container of vanilla yogurt, some granola, and frozen berries. Mix them all together in the morning (after thawing the berries just a little bit) and you have a healthy and tasty breakfast. Sadly, this adds up to quite a bit more money than cereal but it's SO good!



Nordicware microwave popcorn bowl:
I bought this last summer and I LOVE it. You just pour the kernels in the bowl, add a little bit of olive oil and salt, and throw it in the microwave and you have a tasty, healthier version of popcorn. And we are popcorn addicts over here. Too bad it is in storage at the moment :(



The Biggest Loser:
I don't watch every season but any time I do start watching this show again, I get motivated to start living in a healthier way. And it's so fun to watch the transformations on the season finale!

Just a few random healthy thoughts that I had to write down after having a bowl of bedtime cereal...that habit should stop too.

P.S. If anyone wants to sell their Insanity DVD's to me for cheap I will definitely think about it :)

6 comments:

  1. It is funny, bc I ate healthier and worked out more often after Ty & I got married. I did an awesome job planning out our meals and what not and only eating desserts on the weekend, but then he graduated pilot training and everything fell apart. I've been doing better as of late. Except for the pizza I had tonight. But good gravy, it was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm...pizza. Now I want some..and it is 8 in the morning. Nate grew up playing baseball all the time. It was his life. So, he never really worried about eating healthy or exercising. After he hurt his arm playing college baseball, he was surprised that he could actually gain weight. ha ha. So it's a little harder to be healthy when your spouse isn't too concerned about it (out of habit).

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this! Can you post more healthy food tips please? I'm trying to eat better too but I have a hard time knowing what to eat. Plus I want to eat like you because you have a rockin' bod!! {I mean that in a non-homosexual way}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah! You are so sweet. I miss you so much. I do not have a rockin' bod but that is so nice of you to say. And you can say it in a homosexual way :) ha ha.

      Delete
  3. AGREED - Nursing School and marriage wreak havok on the waistline. Ugh. Did you ever get the insanity DVD's? I've been wanting to try them but to be honest I'm too terrified to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi mom and dad and people i am wesson just 9.

    ReplyDelete